Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ballroom Reflections


I lie awake, thinking of what was, of what could be.

A myriad of people, weaving to and fro, connected by touching palms, by the brush of women's gowns against others, against men's well laquered shoes. A ballroom walled by mirrors, multiplying this image into infinity, making the light from the brilliant chandeliers reflect everywhere, making everything sparkle.

People dancing,

forever

forever.

I look from above, mesmerized; what a beautiful kaleidoscope.

Soft music wafts up towards me, gentle laughter, light talk produced by honeyed voices.

I wish I were in the midst of it all too, and suddenly, I am.

My silk gown is a rich green, daring, amazing. My arms are bare where my pearl colored gloves don't reach, my shoulders naked to the world, my breasts half-crescents that threaten to spill from my corset, yet still manage to remain restrained by the low necked dress.

I am next to a mirror, and as I drink my own image in, enchanted by the transformation, I bring a hand to my cheek. My face is delicately painted with make-up, makes me look doll-like. My hair is tied up elegantly, a royal peacock feather stuck in it. Emerald earrings shaped like small teardrops dangle ligthly from my ears, a delicate necklace to copy the effect a million times over, as it winds itself around my throat. A small fan dangles from my wrist, the same color as my elbow length gloves.

I have never seen myself so beautiful, so similar to all the other lovely creatures that have always inhabited this magical room.

A man appears behind me, and as I catch his image in the mirror, I spin around to see him for real.

A smile worth a thousand words, a perfection inhuman.

I'm dizzied by just looking at him, and when he holds out his hand to then take my own, I gasp. He kisses it, his breath so warm through my glove.

"Would you honor me with a dance, Miss?" I blush, accept. He grins. "How polite you are, Miss. Do you not recognize me, now that we are grown?"

I frown, puzzled. I am sure I have never met such a fair featured man, with such wonderful thick black hair, enchanting green eyes - so breathcatching.

I reply no, ask for forgiveness if indeed we do know each other.

He takes a step towards me, and if it werent for my gown, I'm sure he'd have come closer. I can tell by the impish gleam in his eyes. Startled, I look back at him, and when he leans in, to purr my name into my ear, a chill runs up and down my spine. He is still holding my one hand, but now he takes the other.

We gaze at each other, silent. I realize who he is; I remember. Tears well up.

"You found me," I say in a broken voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment